Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call 866-925-2991 for free consultation!

Can I Sue for a Car Accident I Caused?

Mar 16, 2020 | Auto Accident


Car Accident

In most cases, you are liable for accidents that you cause; however, since Indiana is a comparative negligence state, you may be able to sue the other driver even though you caused the accident.

How Comparative Negligence Works in Indiana

In Indiana, more than one driver can be held responsible for an accident. If you or someone you love was injured in an accident for which you’ve been faulted, you may be able to prove that the other driver was also negligent and contributed to any damage or injuries.

This is known as comparative negligence. Each negligent driver is assigned a percentage according to their degree of fault. This can be proven and assigned by insurance companies as well as in a personal injury claim. If your comparative negligence is less than 50%, you are eligible to seek compensation for damage and injuries.

Make sure to discuss the details of your case with an experienced car accident attorney. The more evidence you have, the better chance you have to prove that the other driver was the greater contributor. And while your evidence may release you from fault altogether, those cases are rare. Most likely, your only option for suing the other driver is in a case of comparative negligence.

Were You Injured?

If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident that you caused, the severity of the injuries might have been caused by the other driver’s actions. Because insurance limits can force you to have to pay some of your medical bills out of pocket, it may be in your best interest to file a personal injury claim for damages to the degree that the other driver was negligent.

In a personal injury lawsuit where there is comparative negligence, you receive damages in the amount you claimed up to the percentage that the other driver was named at fault. This means that if your total damages were set at $50,000, you receive $30,000 if the other driver’s comparative negligence was 60% (60% of $50,000). Remember, if your comparative negligence exceeds 50%, you may not sue the other driver.

What to Do After an Accident That You Caused

Regardless of who was at fault, you should immediately stop and find out if anyone was hurt in the accident. All involved drivers should try to move their vehicles out of the way of traffic and attend to anyone who has been injured.

Once all parties are safe from harm, you need to report the accident to the police. Do not admit fault, and certainly refrain from discussing your narrative with the other drivers. Take whatever pictures you can of the scene, including damage to property, injuries, and the spot where the accident occurred. If any witnesses are willing to assist you, make sure to collect their names and contact information.

If you feel that someone else was responsible for the accident even though you were faulted, you should speak with a personal injury attorney right away. In many cases, there is evidence of comparative fault that will hold the other driver(s) accountable for some of the damage and injuries.

As noted above, there are some cases where a careful review of the evidence shows that another driver is more at fault than the initially-faulted driver. That is why it’s always important that you gather as much evidence as possible to support your case.

For more information about how an Indiana attorney can help you after an accident for which you’ve been faulted, contact Stewart & Stewart Attorneys at 800-333-3529 or visit our website.

Latest Resources

Trust the Experts

Can Creditors Take My Personal Injury Settlement in Anderson, IN?

You’ve won a nice settlement for your car accident or medical malpractice case. Before you can...

Is Emotional Distress a Personal Injury? A Guide to Mental Anguish Damages in Indianapolis

Jack had a car accident that left him disfigured, and now he’s too ashamed to leave the house....

Are Slip-and-Fall Cases Hard To Win in Carmel, IN?

Emily heads out to do some grocery shopping. While browsing the aisles, she slips in something wet...

Free Initial Consultation

Get Stewart Today

If you have been involved in an Indiana personal injury accident, contact us at Stewart & Stewart Attorneys. Our Indiana personal injury lawyers represent victims throughout the state, including Carmel and Anderson. We have also successfully advocated for clients throughout the area, including Fort Wayne, Gary, Indianapolis, South Bend. Complete a free online consultation form or call us at (800) 33-33-LAW!

Stewart & Stewart Attorneys have the knowledge and experience to defend your rights in the following areas of Indiana injury law: auto accident, brain injury, drug injury, defective product, fire and burn injury, insurance dispute, medical malpractice, motorcycle accident, nursing home abuse, slip and fall,  truck accident, workers’ compensation and wrongful death.