Car accidents injure thousands of people across the country each year, including those who reside in Indiana. But when do you need to hire an Indiana car accident attorney for your case?
If your car accident case is complex, the insurance company isn’t offering a fair settlement for your injuries, or you don’t feel comfortable speaking with the insurance adjuster, it may be time to hire a lawyer.
What To Do After an Accident
Follow these steps immediately after an accident:
- Visit a doctor for medical attention if you have injuries.
- Call the police to come so they can make a police report and document any injuries or property damage.
- Trade insurance and contact information with the other driver.
- Write down contact information from any nearby witnesses who can make a statement later.
- Take pictures of any visible injuries, property damage to the vehicles, and nearby road conditions.
- Make a statement for the police report when officers arrive.
- Call an experienced car accident attorney.
- Contact the liable driver’s insurance company to file a claim and inform them that your attorney will answer any questions.
If you have severe injuries and must leave the scene where the accident occurred in an ambulance before the police arrive or you get additional information from the driver or witnesses, having a skilled Indiana car accident attorney helping you with your car accident case is essential for your claim.
Seeking Compensation for Your Injuries
Filing an insurance claim can provide compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other economic losses due to your injuries. However, many insurance companies don’t want to pay the full value of a claim, and you could end up having to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver to recover the full value of your losses.
If you can’t agree on a settlement with the insurance company, you can pursue legal action in court for your car accident case. Personal injury lawsuits allow victims to pursue not only economic damages but also non-economic damages to compensate them for intangible losses like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of quality of life.
If the other driver was reckless, wanton, oppressive, or intentional in causing you harm, the court may also award punitive damages that punish the defendant and deter similar behavior in the future.
When to Hire a Lawyer for Your Claim
How can an attorney help you seek compensation for your injuries? When you hire a lawyer, they do their own investigation into the scene and conditions where the accident occurred, as well as look for additional evidence for your claim. Your attorney can:
- Look for nearby security footage of the accident at local businesses
- Request a copy of the police report
- Compare your medical records from before the accident and records of medical treatment you needed after the accident
- Collect expert witness testimony from medical professionals and accident reconstruction engineers
- Contact an accident reconstruction engineer to create a simulation of the accident
- Look for additional witnesses who might have seen the accident
As the plaintiff, you and your attorney have the burden of proof to prove negligence by the defendant. Proving negligence includes demonstrating a duty of care owed, a breach of that duty, causation, and losses as a result of the accident. Your attorney can help you find the applicable evidence pertinent to your car accident case to support your claim in court.
Contact a Skilled Indiana Car Accident Law Firm
When is it time to contact Carmel car accident attorneys in Indiana? Call Stewart & Stewart Attorneys today at 1 (800)-333-3529 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney.