Indiana residents who are involved in a not-at-fault car accident should retain legal counsel as soon as possible. Some people think that because they were not at fault for an accident, the other driver’s insurance company will cover their expenses.
While it would be great to be able to trust insurance companies to provide adequate financial coverage for car accident victims, that is rarely the case.
Without serious negotiation, you’ll likely get the lowest amount the insurance company can provide to compensate you after an accident. This is where a car accident lawyer comes in with expertise to seek a fair settlement based on the accident circumstances and the damages sustained.
We’ll explain why it’s smart to get an attorney and the pitfalls that you could face if you choose to negotiate with the insurance company alone.
Insurance Company Conversations After a Car Accident
After a car accident, you’ll need to open a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. To do so, the insurance company will likely require a recorded statement from you.
During this recorded statement, the insurance company will ask leading questions designed to reduce their expenses for your claim. Without any prior experience working with an insurance company, you might not realize the tactics the insurance company is using. Some of these tactics might include:
- Downplaying your injuries or even getting you to say you are not injured from the accident.
- Getting you to accept some blame for the accident or moments leading up to the accident.
- Offering an early settlement before you know the extent of your injuries and their financial impacts.
- Assuring you that they’ll cover your expenses and that you don’t need to get an attorney involved to resolve the claim.
These methods are all cost-saving tactics for the insurance company and are not designed to help you heal and recover as best you can.
What an Attorney Does During Car Accident Cases
Even in car accident cases that never go to court, an Indiana car accident attorney helps in many ways to ensure you get the compensation you deserve after being involved in an accident.
An attorney helps in the following ways after you suffer from a car accident:
- Handling all communication with the insurance company and insurance adjuster to avoid their misleading tactics.
- Negotiating with the insurance company to reach a fair settlement once the time comes. (This can help you avoid a court case, reducing the time it takes to receive compensation and the hassle involved.)
- Collecting relevant evidence to prove your case and convince the insurance company to take action.
- Litigating the case to ensure proper compensation based on the car accident circumstances should you go to court.
Avoid experiencing serious financial impacts from a car accident that you did not cause by talking to an attorney immediately following a car accident.
Your focus should be on making a full recovery from your injuries without worrying about how you will pay your bills or get your property fixed. Having an attorney work on your case can help you focus on what matters so that you make a full recovery.
Schedule a free consultation with Stewart & Stewart to see how we can help you recover from an accident that wasn’t your fault.