Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call 866-925-2991 for free consultation!

Does Insurance Cover Slip and Fall?

Jan 26, 2022 | Slip and Fall


Yes, insurance can cover a slip and fall accident, but what insurance policy you claim your injuries under will depend on who is liable for the incident. In some cases, a homeowners insurance policy might apply. In others, a business policy could be where you claim your slip and fall injuries.

Who Is Liable for the Slip and Fall?

The first step in reviewing whether insurance will cover your slip and fall accident is to evaluate who might be liable for the incident. One of the following parties might be at fault:

  • The building owner
  • The lessee or company currently overseeing the building’s use
  • The maintenance company for the building
  • Contractors working in the building
  • The homeowner
  • A municipality that failed to maintain public property as it should have

Working with an Indiana personal injury attorney after a slip and fall accident is wise because it can ensure that you uncover relevant evidence that demonstrates who was negligent in caring for a building or property that led to your injuries.

In commercial accidents, this can be more challenging than you might expect. That’s because many people come and go from commercial properties or are charged with ensuring visitor safety.

Insurance Policies That Might Cover Your Slip and Fall Accident

When evaluating what insurance policy to claim your slip and fall accident on, you have three main options.

  1. A commercial insurance policy. This applies if you were on a commercial property, such as a grocery store or restaurant. If the property owner or business was negligent in their care of the property, you could have a claim against their insurance policy and potentially a personal injury case.
  2. Homeowners policy. If your accident took place at a friend or family member’s home, you might have a claim against their homeowners insurance policy. You cannot claim accidents on your property against your homeowners insurance policy though.
  3. Your medical insurance policy. Accidents happen. Even with the best care and attention, you might slip and fall due to your negligence, such as texting and walking or looking away from your surroundings to help your child. In those cases, you might be the one who is responsible for your injuries, in which case you’ll file the expenses with your medical insurance provider.

Slip and Fall Accident Claim Process

If you’re claiming your slip and fall accident on your medical insurance, the process will look like any other doctor’s visit where you present your insurance card for your care. But if you’re putting the claim through a homeowners or business insurance policy, the process will look a bit different.

You’ll start by opening a claim with the insurance company. That will start the process of a full investigation into the circumstances of your slip and fall. The insurance company will determine whether the claim is in the bounds of the policy’s terms.

During the investigation phase, you’ll still need to get medical treatment, which means you’ll need to pay for the care or set up a payment plan with your doctor or medical center.

Do I Need a Lawyer for My Falling Accident?

Hopefully, you face no resistance from the insurance company when it comes to getting your medical care covered. However, in some cases, insurance companies deny claims and you might need a lawyer to fight for your cases. You also might need a lawyer if your injuries are long-term or include pain and suffering.

Pursuing a personal injury lawsuit can help ensure that you protect yourself from financial impacts due to your slip and fall injuries. For a free case evaluation from a trusted team of attorneys in Indiana, contact Stewart & Stewart.

Latest Resources

Trust the Experts

Can Creditors Take My Personal Injury Settlement in Anderson, IN?

You’ve won a nice settlement for your car accident or medical malpractice case. Before you can...

Is Emotional Distress a Personal Injury? A Guide to Mental Anguish Damages in Indianapolis

Jack had a car accident that left him disfigured, and now he’s too ashamed to leave the house....

Are Slip-and-Fall Cases Hard To Win in Carmel, IN?

Emily heads out to do some grocery shopping. While browsing the aisles, she slips in something wet...

Free Initial Consultation

Get Stewart Today

If you have been involved in an Indiana personal injury accident, contact us at Stewart & Stewart Attorneys. Our Indiana personal injury lawyers represent victims throughout the state, including Carmel and Anderson. We have also successfully advocated for clients throughout the area, including Fort Wayne, Gary, Indianapolis, South Bend. Complete a free online consultation form or call us at (800) 33-33-LAW!

Stewart & Stewart Attorneys have the knowledge and experience to defend your rights in the following areas of Indiana injury law: auto accident, brain injury, drug injury, defective product, fire and burn injury, insurance dispute, medical malpractice, motorcycle accident, nursing home abuse, slip and fall,  truck accident, workers’ compensation and wrongful death.