Call Today for a Free Consultation

How Can an Attorney Help Me if My Child Was Born with a Defect?

Mar 24, 2019 | Medical Malpractice


Birth defects are something that no parent ever wants to experience. Before the baby is born, parents look forward to all the milestones their child will complete and adding a brand new member to their family—they never expect to have to deal with lawyers, doctors and an unfair diagnosis that their child has a defect caused by birth.How Can an Attorney Help Me if My Child Was Born with a Defect?

When birth defects do happen, though, it’s imperative that you contact an attorney to help you through the process. While you deal with the aftermath, you are probably asking yourself why this happened in the first place—a question your attorney can help you answer. While many birth defects are unavoidable and no one’s fault, a lot of them can be directly related back to medications taken during pregnancy, a negligent surgeon or doctor during or before birth or a missed diagnosis from an obstetrician. If a birth defect can be linked back to one of these things, you will have a lawsuit on your hands.

A birth defect can happen due to a number of different reasons, but the most common causes include:

  • A prescription drug given to the mother while pregnant. The actual drug or the dosage amount could be to blame for a birth defect.
  • Exposure to chemicals or dangerous toxins
  • Failure to diagnose or properly treat a condition during pregnancy, labor or birth
  • Failure to properly monitor a child during pregnancy
  • Negligence during labor


A child who is exposed to these causes may be born with defects including club foot, cleft palate, brain and skull deformities, Spina Bifida, Cerebreal Palsy, heart defects and may even be born stillborn or suffer fetal death. If any of these can be traced back to negligence, medical malpractice or exposure, you’ll need an attorney to help you not only enter into a lawsuit, but to win it and get the help you need and deserve.

An experienced attorney will take the case out of your hands and pursue the law the on your behalf, taking into account your needs during this trying time. We will initially help you decide if you have a case to move forward with and from there, we will take the necessary steps to enter your claim and get you compensation as soon as possible.

Your family doesn’t deserve to deal with a birth defect, especially one that could have been avoided. Let us take this ordeal on for you so you can focus on raising your baby. For more information about how the attorneys at Stewart & Stewart can help you, contact us today at 1-800-33-33-LAW or visit our website for more information.

Latest Resources

Trust the Experts

Personal Injury

The Anatomy of a Case

If you suffered an injury in Indiana, you are likely to have questions about the practical steps of a personal injury case. What are the chances that your personal injury claim will settle out of court? How soon will the insurance company resolve your claim, and do...

The Anatomy of a Case

If you suffered an injury in Indiana, you are likely to have questions about the practical steps...

Do Attorney Fees Increase Over the Duration of a Case?

When accident victims in Indiana look for a lawyer, many ask how attorneys’ fees work. How do...

How Do Insurance Companies Determine the Value of a Motorcycle Case?

You sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident in Indiana because of someone else’s careless road...

Free Initial Consultation

Get Stewart Today

If you have been involved in an Indiana personal injury accident, contact us at Stewart & Stewart Attorneys. Our Indiana personal injury lawyers represent victims throughout the state, including Carmel and Anderson. We have also successfully advocated for clients throughout the area, including Fort Wayne, Gary, Indianapolis, South Bend. Complete a free online consultation form or call us at (800) 33-33-LAW!

Stewart & Stewart Attorneys have the knowledge and experience to defend your rights in the following areas of Indiana injury law: auto accident, brain injury, drug injury, defective product, fire and burn injury, insurance dispute, medical malpractice, motorcycle accident, nursing home abuse, slip and fall,  truck accident, workers’ compensation and wrongful death.